Posted By Ekk on August 7, 2011
Just before we went to Ogdensburg, I bought some hemlock boards to start Heron’s planking. I’d made a “soaking tank” from the remains of the portable garage (that discorporated late last winter). The planks went in to soak.
Why soak? Well, some of the first runs of planking go from nearly flat, to vertical in about fourteen feet. Steaming is way too labor intensive (not to mention that getting them thoroughly saturated, then letting them be in the sun while working with them is pretty close, these days…)
This week I started the planking. On each side, there’ll be about fourteen “runs” (one plank width/full length of the hull) The other day, I started on the fourth run (half done on it, but there’s a bit of twist that needs to be “snuck up on” (as in tighten the clamps, let the wood settle a bit, lather/rinse/repeat). Once I get past the turn of the bilge, things will go a lot faster.
I’m using rough hemlock for several reasons. One: At today’s prices, one run costs about $11. Two, hemlock is fairly rot resistant. Three: It’s harder than pine. Four, it’s worked for several years on ‘Ganser.
Another thing that I did/ am doing is that I’ve been collecting iron from various boat event sites that we’ve been to. I’m making a lot of Heron’s nails from that iron…so she’ll be part of every site we’ve been to. I’m glad to say that I’m using a fair bit of iron that we brought back from the Restigouche event. Much of that our friend who passed away (RIP, Joe) helped collect, then put it in ‘Ganser before he left the site… the last time I saw him.